David Santin – SQS Sustainable Committee
Today, June 5th, we celebrate the World Environment Day and from QA&TEST we want to introduce the steps we are following to transform our conference in a fully sustainable event.
During all of our editions, we have always worried about preserving the environment, but going into this eleventh edition we have a clear, well-defined strategy to become a Sustainable Conference. We have created a committee that will select those measures that we will progressively implement in our conference. We are aware that this is not an easy road because it requires rearranging some processes and it will have a cost impact that will need to be analyzed, etc … Increasing sustainability is our commitment and we also plan to qualify for a certification that recognize it.
Here we show the small steps that we have already carried out in QA&TEST and we will gradually use this blog to inform you of the new initiatives that we are implementing. We also welcome all your ideas to improve progressively and become 100% sustainable!
- The Conference will take place at Euskalduna, the Conference Centre and Concert Hall, which is recognized with the Environmental Management Certificate according to ISO 14001 which ensures the commitment from the venue with a rational use of resources and optimal waste management. Likewise, we will try that other providers who serve the organization of the conference (printers, restaurants, etc …) are also certified under this standard.
- The Euskalduna is easily accessible on foot from all the hotels in the city, especially those provided by the organization to host speakers, which are accessible to persons with reduced mobility
- Attendees will be instructed in the use of public transport in Bilbao in order to offset the impact of air travel required for speakers, attendees, etc…
We are also taking into account the technical secretariat for the event:
- Registration for QA&TEST is conducted online. Confirmations, documents, letters of invitation etc … are sent exclusively by email.
- On-site registration is done electronically in order to avoid unnecessary use of paper.
- The materials supplied (bag, badge etc …) are reusable.
- Photocopies of all deliverables will be printed on both sides.
- Most of the information prior to the event (program, newsletter, etc. ..) are sent via email. However, mailing lists are updated and constantly monitored to avoid sending unnecessary paper documents by mail.
- Local suppliers (printers, computer services, catering …) will be hired, thus minimizing transport costs.
We welcome your ideas!